The World's Shortest Marriage

I was married for about five minutes to a guy disguised as the Man of my Dreams. However, Dear Husband had a Secret Life. Watch in horror as I deal with the fallout of the World's Shortest Marriage.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Flip Side

You'd think a person who has been so recently crushed would know better than to trample someone else.

But no. I've dragged someone's feelings through the dirt just as effectively as Dear Husband did to me.

Not intentionally, of course. But what started as a casual thing shortly after my marriage exploded had turned suspiciously into a relationship, despite all arguments to the contrary. A relationship that I didn't really anticipate, wasn't ready for, and ultimately don't want.

Of course my explanation came out all wrong. It was a dolled-up version of the 'it's not you, it's me,' speech that we've all given and received at least once in our lives. But in this case, it was true. I just don't have anything to give right now.

The experience has given me some insight, though. It's helped me to understand how you can hurt someone terribly even though you care deeply. I've learned that doing nothing out of a desire to protect someone's feelings can cause much greater hurt in the end. It's shown me that I can desire someone, yet want no physical contact. And it's shown me why it's a bad idea to jump into something when you're still trying to get your bearings after jumping out of something.

Ultimately, I've dealt a crushing blow to someone I love. I'm sorry.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home